Friday 1 April 2011

Submarine

I thought actually being able to watch Submarine was going to be a mean feat (as it is primarily being played in cities); a trip to London had been organised and everything. But by chance I double checked good old Empire Basildon's website on Monday evening and to my surprise Submarine had been added to their (until then) bleak list of commercial nonsensical films; albeit it was still only being played in their 'studio' screens. I am not going to try and convince myself, or the 5 (max.) of you reading this that I can use pretentious film review language effectively, so I will communicate my feelings about this film in my simple History undergraduate vernacular.

The film is set in the mid 1980's and follows the highly original narrative of Oliver Tate, a fifteen year old in South Wales. Warming to Oliver is almost inevitable because of the role the audience fulfills. The viewer is part of what Oliver deems his imaginary audience, in the self-directed film of his minds-eye. His emotions and thoughts are unbarred and even though it is set over 20 years ago, the teenage feelings of self discovery, realisation and disillusionment have survived over generations. Director and writer, Richard Ayoade, (actor: IT Crowd, Mighty Boosh) has been compared to Wes Anderson in many reviews of the film. Anderson is one of my all time favourite film-makers and I appreciate that Ayoade is perhaps similar to Wes in his attention to detail and unconventional techniques, for example the division of the film in to sections (Prologue, Part 1, Part 2, Epilogue). Yet, it remains that Ayoade has his own distinction as a director, shown most notably through the aforementioned enticing narrative of the protagonist Oliver (something that is missing in Anderson's films); and the film's quintessentially British humour.

Without spoiling the film for you my dear friends, if you have yet to see it, the plot revolves around Oliver's romance with the red-duffle coat donning Jordana. However more central to the film, in my opinion, is Oliver's quest to keep his parent's wilting marriage alive. Noah Taylor, who plays Oliver's taciturn marine biologist father, deserves a special mention for the hilarious scene in which he gives his son romantic encouragement and advice; this involves the gift of a mix tape which mirrors the different stages of a relationship.

I will end on this note: I think you should go and watch it, ignore my opinion and anyone else's you might have read/heard and think of it what you will.

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment